Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Problem with Uncle Jesus

This is a thought from several months ago, that over the past few weeks has been evolving into something new. In the near future I plan to explore these new thoughts, but they won't make as much sense without this context.

This is a portion of my ponderings on who Jesus is. For the record I am a Christian, for those who don't know me. This isn't an effort to find Jesus the first time; but rather to understand who Jesus really is for the first time; having lived my entire life within the walls of the Church.

I have identified my key isssue with understanding who the Jesus is, and that is a problem of familiarity. The Jesus has been reduced to a familiar family member. So what are the traits of "Uncle Jesus"? 1. Love (by that I mean "Uncle Level" love). 2. Lots of good stories. 3. Magic (but that which no longer fascinates us, as it did in younger days). 4. Ever present (it's no surprise that he's around). 5. There when needed; but not a part of daily existance. I don't find this contradicts point 4 becaue they speak to different levels of presence. Point 5 means he's not who you naturally turn to for help. Speaks to a distance. I think, overall, these points emphasize a relationship done at "arms length". Uncle Jesus is not a part of my "life"; he's just a person in my world. His position as a "person in my world" is a good thing, but maybe not as good as some might assume. For some Jesus crashes into their world and radically changes it. But when Uncle Jesus has been in your world for so long it's hard to see this "uncle" as radically changing anything. After all, he's just the "special circumstances" guy; not a part of my "life". That's what I have so far in my search to answer my own question "Who is the Jesus?" I hope you don't find my use of the term "Uncle Jesus" degrading to Jesus. No disrespect is intended; just allegory in search of Truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home