Monday, October 17, 2005

Surprise Me: Day 6

We had a birthday party to go to this morning. Trick was it was at Gameworks in Block E. I love the city, but over the past two years, I’ve become quite the suburbanite. So the trip downtown was a bigger deal for me, than it would be for most. But I wanted to be there. So we went. As we were leaving, the birthday boy gave me a hug and thanked me for coming; then he did likewise with my wife. And right there I realized something. This guy is family. Long story short, he and I were casual friends in high school nearly ten years ago. He’s a little younger than me, and was into sports while I was a drama guy, so our friendship wasn’t “close” by any means. But about a year ago we met again at an event we’d both been invited to. It was a gathering of friends known and to be known; many with varying issues with the “church” and asking questions about their “faith”. What a shock to meet again. We’ve renewed a friendship that was “casual” and found a friendship that is “real”. So how’s this relate to the hug and family? I felt great leaving that place. Friends were there; people I don’t see a lot, but I love hanging out with when I can. I have had friends for years that I struggle to find this connection with. But I know that it is there, and maybe I just haven’t been looking, the way I am now. Perhaps there’s a lesson to learn there.

We had lunch with another friend afterwards, and it was so great to just be with friends. (I’m including my wife in that list here) After lunch we met yet another friend. He and I threw the Frisbee around a bit. He talked about a church retreat; he talked about what was up with him lately. Our schedules make it so we don’t hang that much. It was awesome. He stayed the rest of the day, for a movie and a burger; didn’t leave ‘till nearly ten. It was a good day.

I burn out a lot. Friends can seem overwhelming. I’m starting to realize that that fact has a lot more to do with me, than it does with them. I want to thank my friends for the day. Thank you Zech, for being exactly who you are. Thank you Justin, for sitting around chewing the “fat” and the salad. Thank you Pete; I truly appreciate your friendship. Lastly, thank you Heidi, my friend every day; all the time. You are one sight I never tire of; your voice is the one thing that can calm the storm.

Mushy? Trust me these feelings are real. And too often neglected by a guy with deadlines and responsibilities. But not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home